Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Garden Update

My garden is finally in the ground!

I know it's been awhile since I updated but it's been busy. Some new things going on in my life are: my teaching assignment has changed (next year I'm at one school full time, YAY!), I started a gym regimen and got a personal trainer, and I've done a little traveling (Florida for pleasure, Columbia MO and Minneapolis for teaching related things).

Now, my energy is going towards gardening. It's been a slow go because the weather has been bad (2 weekends of tornadoes and big rains, and a couple weeks of fluctuating temperatures, some frost creating) but it looks like we're safe now!

I realized how many flower beds I have. WHOA. Lots of planting to do. I'm focusing on planting perennials in many of them for lower maintenance future Springs and then fruits and veggies in a couple places. Ben and I spent quite a bit of time raking all of the twigs and branches that fell during the winter. Ben got our new lawn mower up and running. It's awesome! It's called the Fiskars Momentum. It's made by Fiskars, which makes scissors. It's a reel mower- so not electric or gas. It appealed to us because of our "green" ideas and Ben thought he could use his muscle to propel it. He really likes it and it does a great job so far! I figure that it saves the environment and will only need some money put in each year or so to sharpen the blades, instead of the money we'd spend on gas or electric power.

My first projects were the bed in the front, in which I planted marigolds, and the large back bed by the pond. I have always wanted lilacs, so I bought two bushes to put there plus 3 little flowering bushes called magic carpet spirea.





We also have a lot of roses blooming. They were blooming when we moved in so I would imagine that they bloom all summer!



I ended up planting some of the things that I originally mentioned but the list is longer and more different! Ben's dad built me a raised bed, and I planted several things there, along with around the perimeter (he also brought his roto tiller and tilled it all!). I also expanded to inside the fence and have plans on tilling a little more later this season or maybe next year to make more space.





This is what I planted:

-Tomatoes (4 varieties)
-Green beans
-Lettuce (2 varieties)
-Broccoli
-Cauliflower
-Sweet red peppers
-Brussels sprouts
-Melon (canteloupe)
-Summer squash
-Zucchini
-Butternut squash
-Acorn squash
-Summer medley squash (comes in yellow, green, orange)
-Sweet lightening - an "in between" summer and winter squash
-Raspberries
-Strawberries (2 varieties)

I'm going to have A LOT of squash!



I also have many herbs:

-Rosemary (2 varieties)
-Mint (didn't plant it- it was there and is invading!)
-Lemon thyme
-Chives
-Sage
-Chamomile
-Oregano
-Summer Savory
-Parsley
-Basil - loads of it!
-Dill

I know I'm missing something here!

Just got a food processor and canning supplies, so I plan on being busy this summer. I will blog more as I do it- will have more time then!

1 comment:

  1. Holy smoke chica. THat is absolutely complete. You are going to love all of it. The brussel sprouts are especially fun and come late so it's cool to still be pulling stuff. You'll need lots of dill for canning and pickling. WHat about cilantro? You are all over it! I am just now getting my bed in order to put in compost. Of course, up here summer comes late.
    All in all, I am mega impressed!

    ReplyDelete