Saturday, June 12, 2010

Sweet Potato Muffins/Cupcakes!

As I've mentioned before, reading the food blogs that I do, I often get inspired by something. One major inspiration lately has been this blog. The author fixes healthy and super creative meals for her kids. And posts cool recipes (like the samosas I made recently). When I saw these sweet potato "cupcakes," I was inspired.

These yummy muffins are different and healthier and less sugar than a cupcake. Really, they are a muffin but I added a little cream cheese frosting on top.

Here is the recipe from her blog:

Sweet Potato Muffin/Cupcakes:
6 tablespoons butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
1 1/2 cups peeled finely shredded sweet potato (I used a cheese grater)
Cream cheese frosting (optional)

Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in egg and vanilla until well blended.
Mix together dry ingredients, add to butter mixture, then add milk. Mix until light moistened.
Stir in sweet potato, mix well.
Spoon into muffin papers or greased muffin tin.
Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into muffin comes out clean.

This made 2 dozen mini muffins and a half dozen regular sized muffins. It got the seal of approval from Ben and his buddy, and I  must say it tastes delicious! Kind of like carrot or pumpkin. Not sweet potato at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment