Sunday, January 24, 2010

Adventures with Spanish Food

Last week, looking at the menu of a tapas restaurant made me nauseous. I was surprised at my reaction; I thought that 6 months post-Spain trip, I'd be over it.

I was wrong.

My first two trips to Spain were in 1997 and 2000. I stayed mostly with families who knew that I was a vegetarian and cooked for me, and we didn't eat out very much. I remembered the food as being decent. This trip, I got a way different, new perspective on Spanish food.

It all started in Madrid. We landed there and went to our "welcome dinner" at a Tapas restaurant. Of course, the menu was pre-set and everything (even the salad) had meat on it. I told the waiter that I was a vegetarian and he asked if I liked asparagus. Why yes, I do. But not the pickled white asparagus that he then brought me - complete with a huge blob of mayo. Double YUCK. I had to move it away from me- the scent was overwhelming. The scent of the pickled asparagus combined with the fishy anchovy looking tuna fish on the salad, meatballs and other meat dishes made me want to wear a gas mask.

Now don't get me wrong, I have lived with meat eaters all of my life. My parents eat meat, my boyfriend eats meat. Everyone I'm friends with eats meat sometimes. I have eaten countless meals alongside people eating all sorts of meats. I've even cooked meat a handful of times (hey, I'm trying to be a good domestic partner here!)

The welcome dinner was just the beginning. I ended up eating bread and cheese for the next 3 days. I couldn't find anything to eat! Even salads. Out of desperation, I offered to take a group of kids to the Hard Rock Cafe so that I could get some overpriced edible food. I ended up paying about $14 for a small house salad, but it was worth it.

Did I mention that Spain's menus always include foods such as blood sausage, tongue, tripe, and a wide variety of fishy foods, complete with eyes? And more - I've blocked out much of the nasty stuff that is frequently on the menu.

Throughout the trip, I was exposed to countless absolutely disgusting foods in combination with the cigarette smoke that is everywhere (every restaurant IS a smoking section) and hot temperatures. It was enough to keep me in an almost constant state of nausea. I gagged many a time throughout the trip. I just couldn't handle it. It got so bad that one morning, the other teachers were discussing foods (the gross ones) and I literally threw up right there. In my mouth.

I did have a couple good meals there. I went to a vegetarian restaurant, thanks to a teacher who took pity on my lack of any sort of nutrition and found it for me. I found one place - for our last meal in the home stay community- that had a great meal with some squash soup and pasta dish. And I actually found a vegetarian paella in one place!

Hence tonight's meal- the only thing about Spanish food that is tempting to me anymore. I made a veggie paella. Ingredients included yellow squash, zucchini, carrots, peas, asparagus, broccoli, spices (helloooo saffron!) and of course, rice. It was pretty good. Here is the finished product.



Maybe one day I will venture into Spain again. But one thing is for sure: I will take lots of granola bars!

No comments:

Post a Comment