Thursday, January 21, 2010

Jardin de Sarah

Along with this whole cooking frenzy, my other major short term goal is to design, plant and cultivate a vegetable garden. Our new house has a southern facing patch of land where the previous owners grew a couple things - some herbs, squash and tomatoes that we saw. The soil is good, the light is great, and it's big. It has some fence on 2 sides where I can plant tomatoes and beans. My major aspiration is to build 2-3 raised beds with wood planks and fill them in with soil & compost to then plant. I am crossing my fingers that Ben & his dad will help me with this. Raised beds are the best method for growing, so I read. I think it will be awesome. I have a long list of things I'd like to grow, but I'll have to look at the space and see what I can manage. So far, the things I think of are:

- Lettuce/greens
- Broccoli
- Beans (different varieties)
- Tomatoes (*I've already ordered 3 heirloom varieties)
- Peppers (*ditto)
- Zucchini/Yellow Squash
- Garlic
- Corn
- Melon
- Asparagus
- Onions
- Carrots
- Celery
- Herbs... parsley, rosemary, thyme, etc.

I'm going to two classes at St. Louis Community College in the next two months, one on herb gardening/harvesting/preserving and the other on growing Spring Crops. I can't wait! I plan on throwing myself into this big time. I really want the satisfaction of cooking AND with things I grew. Just one more goal of womanhood... Feeding my family (ok, my boyfriend and dogs, but I might donate some extras to other family members!) with homegrown veggies. Mmm..

No comments:

Post a Comment