Sunday, January 31, 2010

My New Toy!

I got a new toy.

I've acquired some new cooking utensils and gadgets in the last month to make cooking more efficient and do some cool things. My latest addition is an immersion blender, which is basically a little gadget that you stick into (aka "immerse") into the bowl/pot you have food in to blend it up. It's very low maintenance, easy to clean and use. And only cost around $30.

So Ben and I have eaten like toothless old people this weekend! I pureed and blended the crap out of our food, using any excuse to use my new gadget. Saturday night, I made a sort of root vegetable soup with squash, yams and parsnips. It was ok, but I honestly wasn't the hugest fan. The best part about it was using my new toy.



I also made apple crisp, which was much yummier. The last time I made an apple dish (applesauce), Ben commented how good it would be to put some vanilla ice cream on top. So I granted his wish this time, stopping at Oberweis for some delicious vanilla to top off the crisp.



Last night (Sunday), I decided to make a Pair of Purees - potato puree and butternut squash puree. Both were quite yummy! I also made applesauce - this time, I didn't have to spend forever cutting them up. Just let them bake and then blend them up with the new gadget. The consistency was perfect- just like real applesauce. Yum!! Served all three with some asparagus. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment