Friday, January 22, 2010

Experiments in Cooking

In cooking new things, one of the first foods I experimented with was zucchini. I read another blog post about all of the different things you can do with it plus had some excellently prepared zukes at Casa Schwartz and was inspired to try some myself. It all started with the zucchini boat. I brushed zucchini with some olive oil and topped it with Italian seasonings and feta cheese then baked it for 20-30 minutes.

Since then, I've used zucchini in a variety of ways. Cooking it in soup, zucchini flatbread pizza, zucchini chips, and tonight, zucchini fries. To make the fries, cut them up, sprinkle seasonings over them, and then bake them at a high temp (500 degrees is what I did). I used a combination of garlic salt, onion powder, cumin, chili powder and oregano. This is how they came out:

They were a little overcooked - and I have learned after two times of having sticky zucchini to the very NOT non-stick pan- that I need to use a different pan or some cooking spray first. They were pretty tasty nonetheless.

I also made another dish tonight that I tried before, but this one was better: curried chick pea casserole. I'm trying to eat more protein since I don't get any from meat, so beans are one way. The casserole has chick peas, curry powder, onions, garlic and some tomato paste. Top with some feta cheese and bake.


I served it with naan and over jasmine rice. Delicious! This is what our plates looked like.

No comments:

Post a Comment